World Data Viz Challenge 2019 Barcelona-Kobe final event in which dataviz finalists will be presented, will take place on the 19th of November from 15:30 to 18:00 in the framework of the Smart City Expo World Congress in room CC 1.3. See the event's schedule.
In addition to the members of the finalists teams, representatives from the city councils of Barcelona and Kobe and judges who assessed dataviz will attend the event. Michael Donaldson, Barcelona City Council Commissioner for Digital Innovation, e-Government and Good Governance; Màrius Boada, Director of the Barcelona City Council Data Office; and Taisuke Matsuzaki, Kobe City Council representative and ICT Development Director, will be some of the institutional representatives.
The finalist projects from Barcelona analyse different city related aspects and how to get ready for the challenges facing smart cities. This year, the emphasis has been on a worldwide issue “cities and the climate emergency”, aligned with the Climate Plan, and that is why the majority of projects submitted this year deal with this topic.
The finalists propose, among other things, solutions to the global warming consequences with projects that study the relationship between the amount of green areas in the city and the atmospheric temperature, which conditions have the neighborhoods with more vegetation or which are the most recommended alternative routes for pedestrians when the temperature is extremely high in summer. Other projects address issues such as motorbike mobility in Barcelona, the city's most recommended school paths or the impact that online purchases have on the way smart cities function.
Aside from the Barcelona and Kobe finalist dataviz presentations, the event will be also attended by the INS Vila de Gràcia pupils, who will present their winning project from the second edition of the Barcelona Dades Obertes Challenge 2019, as well as pupils from the city of Kobe who will present their projects.
At the end of the ceremony, diplomas will be awarded to the finalists and there will be a space reserved for networking for all the participants, judges and professionals from the data and smart cities sector.
Last year’s final event, when the 25th anniversary of the twinning between Kobe and Barcelona was celebrated, showed that the two cities share common concerns and challenges as smart cities. Both seek explanations, answers and solutions in the behavior and initiatives of the citizenship, and share the vision that open data from relevant fields can be very resourceful for achieving that.
The 2018 event was a success as the 2019 edition is sure to be!
- 15:30h. Welcome and official presentation by Sr. Michael Donaldson, Barcelona City Council Commissioner for Digital Innovation, e-Government and Good Governance and Sr. Taisuke Matsuzaki, Kobe City Council ICT Development Director
- 15:40h. Barcelona and Kobe finalists projects presentation - part 1
- 16:20h. Presentation of the winning project in the 2nd edition of the “Barcelona Dades Obertes Challenge”
- 16:30h. Break
- 16:40h. Presentation of the projects done by the Kobe educational centres
- 17:00h. Barcelona and Kobe finalists projects presentation - part 2
- 17:35h. Diploma award ceremony
- 17:45h. Closing ceremony by Sr. Màrius Boada, Director of the Barcelona City Council Data Office and del Sr. Taisuke Matsuzaki, Sr. Taisuke Matsuzaki, Kobe City Council ICT Development Director
- 18:00h. Networking and catering