- Functional features
- Technical features
The portal Open Data BCN, the Ajuntament de Barcelona's open data service, is presented as a space optimized for all types of devices (PC, tablets and mobiles) in order to facilitate access to all users and visitors.
The header incorporates the official name Open Data BCN with the representative logo.
The home page is structured in 5 sections:
- Main bar: from where you can access all the information of the site distributed in 7 concepts: About this site, Dataset catalogue, News, Reusers, Statistics, Barcelona Dades Obertes Challenge and World Data Viz Challenge Barcelona-Kobe.
- Images: we use them to relate the portal with the city, its people and the projects and events more outstanding related to the Open Data Service.
- Searcher: designed to help you find the datasets. Search by words and the search option is also offered from the top 5 topics in which the information is classified.
- Featured: we can find two types. The Featured, where the latest news, interviews, case stories and visualizations and apps are displayed, allowing the most recent activities of the site to be accessed by the user at a glance. And the Featured Barcelona Dades Obertes Challenge, which shows recent information regarding the contest.
- Citizen’s space: where you can register, make inquiries, report incidents and participate or follow up on social networks.
All relevant information about Open Data BCN site is listed in the drop-down menu ‘About this site’, leading to 4 different pages:
- Open Data BCN: Explains the mission and vision of the portal and its fit in the digital strategy of the Ajuntament de Barcelona (Barcelona city council).
- Features of the Portal: Where you can get information about the functionalities and the technical features of the site.
- Related initiatives: It reviews the different initiatives within and outside the City Council that may have some kind of relationship with the open data portal.
- FAQs: Questions and answers about what is Open Data and the use of data.
The dataset catalogue is the main section of the Site, where users may find all information opened by Barcelona City Council in reusable formats.
The available filters make the selection of datasets more agile. Filtering is currently enabled by Tags (keywords), Formats, Licenses, geolocation, Update frequency, historical information, availability of the API CKAN and access tokens.
The ordering of datasets is allowed by publication date (asc / desc) and popularity (asc / desc).
In the catalog main screen you can see for each dataset the title, the description, the theme / subtopic to which it belongs, the available formats, update frequency and the availability of historical information.
Once the dataset is selected, all the complete information of the dataset is shown: the metadata, additional information and field definition in “View complementary description and field definition”, the associated labels, the resources that compose it in the different available formats and the actions enabled on each one of them. Historical series are also included here if they have.
All resources can be downloaded, although in some specified cases, an access token request is required for which an active user account is necessary: My account. In the case of the .csv file format stored in the datastore, it is also possible to preview them in the form of a table, graphic or on a map, as well as access via API.
The preview initially shows a maximum of 100 records, and you can see the rest by substituting the desired value in the corresponding box. Keep in mind that the option 'Graph' shows the original data as they have been stored, not allowing any kind of calculation.
The .xls .xlsx formats allow the visualization of the resource with the Excel Online.
Regarding the token requirement and the API, all documentation is found in developer's site.
It is also enabled the functionality to embed the information displayed on the screen in other sites and reports, as well as share content in social networks.
It is also allowed to make comments on each dataset in order to establish a dialogue between the reusers of the same.
The drop-down menu ‘Present’ contains links to Portal news, News and Interviews and Case Stories. It has two main goals: On the one hand to make known the changes and improvements that are periodically implemented in the portal, such as new sections or functionalities and the incorporation of new datasets. On the other hand, it wants to bring the culture of Open Data to the citizen, facilitating histories of use and all kinds of information related to open data.
It is the space that contains information of interest for the group of reusers. The dropdown allows access to these 2 sections:
- Developers: It is the place intended to provide useful information for application developers and target audiences with a more technical profile.
- Visualizations and apps: It is the place that they want to present the works that the users do and wish to share them in the portal. In the sub-section. Visualizations by subjects can be found the visualizations of the datasets that have aroused more representative interest on the part of the users.
This section allows you to quantify the volume of data, the activity on the datasets, on the resources and the monthly activity registered by the portal. The link "More information" with direct access to the dataset Catalog of open data of the City Council of Barcelona - Open Data BCN allows to extend this statistical information.
- Data volume: It shows the amount and the level of quality of the datasets published (https://5stardata.info/en/), resources, formats and historical series of which Open Data BCN has. A classification of the datasets by topic and sub-topic is also presented graphically.
- Dataset Activity: A linear graph is shown with the evolution of publication of datasets, as well as lists with the last datasets added, modified, most visited recently (last 15 days) and most visited (since 23/02/2017 Inauguration of the new portal), most downloaded resources (by IP) (since 23/02/2017 Inauguration of the new portal) and most downloaded (Absolute values) (since 23/02/2017 Inauguration of the new portal).
- Resource Activity: They are listed, the most downloaded resources in the last 15 days by IP and in absolute values.
- Portal activity: You can find graphic information regarding the sessions, visits, single pages visited, page views, the percentage of new sessions and rebound. Three pie charts show the sessions by language (Catalan, Spanish, English), by country, type of device (PC, mobile and tablet) and a bar chart per access hour. Finally, 2 graphs are shown: evolution of the user registry and number of queries received.
It offers the possibility of downloading in .png format different graphic information of this page.
In this section of the site you will find information regarding the Barcelona Dades Obertes Challenge, a contest that promotes the use of open data as an educational resource in the centers of the city of Barcelona.
In this section of the portal you will find information about the World Data Viz Challenge Barcelona-Kobe, an annual open process of creation of data visualizations that was carried out on the occasion of the 25 years of twinning between the cities of Barcelona and Kobe (Japan)
The Ajuntament de Barcelona Open Data portal has been developed with a mixed installation of Drupal and CKAN on Ubuntu. The installed version of Drupal is 7.63 (with php 5.6) and the version of CKAN is 2.6.0, latest stable versions available in open source at the time of its creation.
The Dataset Catalog section is the one that uses the CKAN software, which has been developed by the Open Knowledge Foundation.
The following open source CKAN extensions have been installed:
- qa: This extension analyzes the resources of each of the CKAN datasets and gives them an "openness score" based on Tim Berners-Lee's five stars of opennes.
- fluent:This extension provides a way to store and return multi-language fields in CKAN datasets, resources, and organizations.
- hierarchy:Functionality for creating a hierarchy of organizations.
- officedocs: Functionality for previewing Microsoft Office documents.
- pdfview: Functionality for previewing pdfs.
- report: Functionality that provides a reporting infrastructure.
- scheming: This extension provides a way to configure and share CKAN schemas using a JSON schema description.
- geoview: Functionality for previewing geospacing views in CKAN.
- archiver: Extension that provides the user a cached copy in case of a broken link. It also tells the user is the links is broken.
- drupal: Module developed by Open Data Canada. This module contains a paster command that allows you to generate the Drupal nodes for comments in the datasets.
In addition to these extensions, the developers of the portal have created two CKAN extensions that add required functionalities and are published in the Ajuntament de Barcelona's GITHUB.
On the one hand, odatabcn extension adds certain appearance customizations as well as some new functionalities, such as:
- customizing the menu
- customizing the dataset listing
- customizing the dataset detail
- customizing the resource detail
- filter customization
- calculating the number of downloads per resource
- Drupal nodes loading for comments in datasets, related to Drupal Open Data Canada CKAN Packages
- downloading the catalogue in CSV format
On the other hand, the federagobes extension generates an RDF file for the Open Data BCN catalogue according to the Technical Standard for Interoperability of technical resources to federate its datasets both in the datos.gob.es portal and the European Data Portal.
The home has been developed in Drupal, installing all the extensions necessary for the correct evolution of the portal, examples of these modules are the following:
- Entity API: This module extends the Drupal kernel API to provide a unified way to deal with entities and their properties.
- Multilingual content: Enables node options to create multilingual content.
- Internationalization: Extends Drupal support for multilingual features.
- Taxonomy: Enables the organization of content in categories.
- RDF: Enriches content with metadata so that other applications (search engines, aggregators, etc.) better understand their relationships and attributes.
- Variable: Provides a record for metadata about Drupal variables and API interfaces.
- Views: It allows to create lists and queries to customized database.
- Views Bootstrap: Bootstrap components.
- Google Analytics Reports: Displays Google Analytics statistics with Views.
- Google Analytics Reports API: API for accessing Google Analytics Core Reporting API statistics.
- Path Breadcrumbs: Allows you to create custom path-breadcrumbs.
- CAPTCHA: CAPTCHA module for forms addition.
- reCAPTCHA: Use the Google webservice reCAPTCHA to improve the CAPTCHA system.
- Open Data Canada CKAN Packages: Comment module developed by Open Data Canada and that the team of developers has adapted to the characteristics of the Open Data BCN portal.
- Sort comments: Allows you to modify the comments ordering.
- Login Destination: Customize the destination to which the user is redirected after login and logout.
- Login Disable: Allow the disabling of user logins by role.
- Mailchimp: MailChimp Email Integration Service.
- Mailchimp campaigns: Creates, sends and imports MailChimp campaigns.
- LESS CSS Preprocessor: Allows themes or modules to use LESS files.
- BCN Brand: Module to add the Corporate Bar of the Barcelona City Council.
- Bcn_megamenu: Generates simple megamenu blocks.
- Bcn_settings: Configures common settings for bcn modules.
- Charts: A graphical API for Drupal that provides graphic elements and view integration.
- Google Charts: Graphics integration module with Google graphics.
Regarding the implementation of the access tokens, we have developed a module called opendata_tokens which generates, stores and regenerates tokens per user, necessary for specified resources. It is also added to the GITHUB repository of the Ajuntament de Barcelona.