- Functional features
- Technical features
The home page is structured in 5 sections:
- Main bar: where you can access all the information in the portal, distributed in 4 concepts: About this site, dataset catalogue, present, and reusers.
- Images: showing the city, with its well known grid, the people as the main element and design, innovation and technology. All of them are concepts that inspire the creation of the portal and are intended as a welcome message to the users.
- Searcher: incepted for helping users to fins datasets. Search by words and also offers the possibility to browse by the 5 main topics in which the information is classified.
- Featured: is where the latest news, interviews, case stories and visualizations and apps are displayed. It allows the user to see what is new.
- Citizen’s space: Awhere users can register, ask questions, report incidents and write comments, as well as following up the trends in social networks.
All relevant information about Open Data BCN portal is listed in the drop-down menu ‘About this site’, leading to 5 different pages:
- Open Data BCN: where you can find the mission and vision of the portal and its fit in the digital strategy of the Ajuntament de Barcelona (Barcelona city council).
- Features of the Portal: the site for getting more information about the functionalities and the technical features of the portal.
- Related initiatives: list of many different initiatives related to Open Data BCN, coming from the city council or other institutions and related to Open Data.
- FAQs: Questions and answers about Open Data and the usage of data.
- Statistics: Allows quantifying the amount of data available in the portal, the activity on datasets and de monthly records.
The dataset catalogue is the main section of the Portal, where users may find all information opened by Barcelona City Council in reusable formats.
The information is classified in 5 main topics: Administration, Population, Territory, Economy and Business and Urban environment which are also divided in sub topics allowing an easy filtering.
It can also be filtered by Tags (keywords), Formats, Licenses and Update frequency.
In the catalog main screen you can see the title, the description, the available formats and the update frequency.
The catalog API is also accessible form this page. Documentation of the catalog API can be found in the Developers Site.
When a dataset is selected from the catalog, all information related to it is shown, such of metadata, historical series (if any), available formats and the available actions.
All the resources in the dataset catalog can be downloaded, in some cases previews are also allowed as well as access the API.
The preview tool allows showing the information in tables, plots or mapped in case the resources are in the datastore. XLS and XLSX can also be previewed using Excel Online.
Regarding the API, all documentation is found in developer's site.
It is also enabled the functionality to embed the information displayed on the screen in other sites and reports, as well as share content in social networks.
Comments in datasets are enabled aiming to create a discussion between reusers.
The drop-down menu ‘Present’ contains links to Portal news, interviews and case stories. It has two main goals: Firstly, to share changes and developments that are periodically introduced in the portal, as well as new sections, functionalities and new datasets. Secondly, aims to bring Open Data closer to the citizen by publishing case stories and any other information related to the Open Data.
It is the specialized section for reusers. It links to:
- Developers: where portal documentation can be found.
- Visualizations and apps: where visualizations and apps made by users can be shared.
The Ajuntament de Barcelona Open Data Portal has been developed with a mixed installation of Drupal and CKAN on Ubuntu. The installed version of Drupal is 7.52 (with php 5.6) and the version of CKAN is 2.6.0, latest stable versions available in open source at the time of its creation.
The Dataset Catalog section is the one that uses the CKAN software, which has been developed by the Open Knowledge Foundation.
The next CKAN extensions have been installed:
- dcat(open license): Provides add-ins that allow CKAN to expose and consume metadata from other catalogs using RDF serialized documents through DCAT(Data Catalog Vocabulary).
- qa(open license): This extension analyzes the resources of each of the CKAN datasets and gives them an "openness score" based on Tim Berners-Lee's five stars of opennes.
- fluent(open license):This extension provides a way to store and return multi-language fields in CKAN datasets, resources, and organizations.
- hierarchy(open license):Functionality for creating a hierarchy of organizations.
- officedocs(open license): Functionality for previewing Microsoft Office documents.
- pdfview(open license): Functionality for previewing pdfs.
- report(open license): Functionality that provides a reporting infrastructure.
- scheming(open license): This extension provides a way to configure and share CKAN schemas using a JSOn schema description.
- geoview(open license): Functionality for previewing geospacing views in CKAN.
- archiver(open license): Extension that provides the user a cached copy in case of a broken link. It also tells the user is the links is broken.
- drupal(open license): Module developed by Open Data Canada. This module contains a paster command that allows you to generate the Drupal nodes for comments in the datasets.
In addition to these extensions, the developers of the Portal have created two CKAN extensions that add required functionalities and are published in the Ajuntament de Barcelona's GITHUB.
On the one hand, odatabcn extension adds certain appearance customizations as well as some new functionalities, such as:
- customizing the menu
- customizing the dataset listing
- customizing the dataset detail
- customizing the resource detail
- filter customization
- calculating the number of downloads per resource
- Drupal nodes loading for comments in datasets, related to Drupal Open Data Canada CKAN Packages
- downloading the catalogue in CSV format
On the other hand, the federagobes extension generates an RDF file for the Open Data BCN catalogue according to the Technical Standard for Interoperability of technical resources to federate its datasets both in the datos.gob.es portal and the European Data Portal.
The home has been developed in Drupal, installing all the extensions necessary for the correct evolution of the Portal, examples of these modules are the following:
- Entity API (open license): This module extends the Drupal kernel API to provide a unified way to deal with entities and their properties.
- Multilingual content (open license): Enables node options to create multilingual content.
- Internationalization (open license): Extends Drupal support for multilingual features.
- Taxonomy (open license): Enables the organization of content in categories.
- RDF (open license): Enriches content with metadata so that other applications (search engines, aggregators, etc.) better understand their relationships and attributes.
- Variable (open license): Provides a record for metadata about Drupal variables and API interfaces.
- Views (open license): It allows to create lists and queries to customized database.
- Views Bootstrap (open license): Bootstrap components.
- Google Analytics Reports (open license): Displays Google Analytics statistics with Views.
- Google Analytics Reports API (open license): API for accessing Google Analytics Core Reporting API statistics.
- Path Breadcrumbs (open license): Allows you to create custom path-breadcrumbs.
- CAPTCHA (open license): CAPTCHA module for forms addition.
- reCAPTCHA (open license): Use the Google webservice reCAPTCHA to improve the CAPTCHA system.
- Open Data Canada CKAN Packages (open license): Comment module developed by Open Data Canada and that the team of developers has adapted to the characteristics of the Open Data BCN Portal.
- Sort comments (open license): Allows you to modify the comments ordering.
- Login Destination (open license): Customize the destination to which the user is redirected after login and logout.
- Mailchimp (open license): MailChimp Email Integration Service.
- Mailchimp campaigns (open license): Creates, sends and imports MailChimp campaigns.
- LESS CSS Preprocessor (open license): Allows themes or modules to use LESS files.
- BCN Brand (open license): Module to add the Corporate Bar of the Barcelona City Council.
- Bcn_megamenu (open license): Generates simple megamenu blocks.
- Bcn_settings (open license): Configures common settings for bcn modules.